What Should I Do If I Have a Problem With My Home Insurance Policy?

If you have a problem with your policy, you should try to resolve it with your insurance company before filing a claim. You can complain through your state insurance regulator if this doesn’t work. Your state may also have a mediation program that you can use to try to resolve the dispute with your insurer before filing a lawsuit. 

If you have a problem with your policy or have an unpaid claim or an incorrect amount of coverage, contact your provider as soon as possible. Or, consult Insurance & Financial Services Inc. in Baton Rouge, LA. 

Handling Your Home Insurance Policy 

Suppose the policy provider can’t solve the issue. In that case, you can contact your state insurance regulator or the Property and Casualty program of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for assistance. 

You must read your policy and understand what is covered and what isn’t. Your agent can also give the next way forward. If you feel that your insurance company has acted unfairly, you can file a claim with the state insurance department. 

You should always read your policy thoroughly and ensure you know what is and isn’t covered. If your policy has a problem, you should first resolve it directly with your insurer. 

If your policy has a problem, consider contacting your provider. In the event of a claim, the sooner you let your insurer know, the smoother the claim process will be. Many insurers have an online chat service or telephone line that you can use to get immediate advice on what to do in an emergency. 


If you cannot agree and feel the provider’s actions were unfair and unethical, you can contact your state insurance regulator for assistance. Regulators can help resolve disputes between consumers and insurance providers. Insurance & Financial Services Inc. can help you in Baton Rouge, LA.